Maybe it’s a cynical ploy to make more money on concessions, but there seems to be an ever-increasing amount of popcorn flavor choices in theaters. Gone are the limited days of salty or sweet. We can now find all kinds of popcorn flavors with others in development. In many ways, popcorn is treated like potato chips and other flavored snacks. One of the most intense and (sometimes) polarizing popcorn flavors is cheddar cheese. It gives popcorn a deep, salty flavor, something we like for its extreme snack.
In O Petroleo, we show How to make homemade cheddar popcorn. This simple recipe makes popcorn from scratch and don’t forget you can use it as a base to add more flavors.
2 diners less than 15 minutes low difficulty
You will need it:
You may also be interested in: How to make homemade ricotta
Steps to follow:
The first thing to do is to find a pot that is deep enough to keep the corn kernels from flying out when they crackle. Add the tablespoons of oil and place the pan on it medium heat so that it gradually warms up.
When the oil has reached the right temperature, pour in the cup of corn kernels. Make sure they are clean and free of debris. When you put them in the pan, start at move constantly to prevent them from burning or darkening too much on one side.
After about 3 to 4 minutes you will begin to notice how the first few kernels start to explode, giving you the consistency of the popped corn we are looking for. At this point, continue to mix carefully so as not to burn yourself. When the popcorn starts popping like crazy, cover with a lid.
The trick with popcorn is to make sure you pop as many kernels as possible, but burn as few as possible. It is better to depopulate some grains than all popped and some burned. This is because you can always remove the the grains are not sprouted and try again, but you can reactivate them. A general rule of thumb is to wait until the outbreak subsides until there is a second duration between each new pop.
When the popcorn is still hot, you should put the toppings you like best on it. In this case it is important to first add the cheddar cheese, which you have previously grated into thin slices. This way they will melt faster. You can do white cheddar popcorn at home, yellow cheddar or whatever your favorite melted cheese is. Cream cheese or other soft cheeses won’t work, but good hard Parmesan would do the trick too.
When you see that the cheese is starting to get soft, you can tap the bowl to make the popcorn move and make sure the cheese covers all the popcorn. If you add enough you can mix it directly with clean hands, but only if the popcorn has quite cooled.
Once your cheese popcorns are ready, add them Salt to taste. A little dried rosemary would also work, but other dried herbs like oregano or even a little basil would also work. For those who like heat, you can add some hot pepper or paprika. Sweet paprika works great with cheese if you want more flavor but less heat. You could also sprinkle some homemade Worcestershire sauce for an umami punch.
Enjoy it right away, because it won’t be as good served cold. If you don’t like corn, you want to try some other snack recipes, like our puffy quinoa recipe or our guide to some of the best homemade super food snacks.
- There is an option for cheesy popcorn which is to add a ready-made seasoning powder that you can buy at the grocery store. However, we recommend that you put real cheese in it so that the flavor is much more intense and the result is healthier.
- The flavor of popcorn can have many variations. If you wish, you can previously make a combination of various cheeses you like best and use it to make homemade cheese popcorn.
- If you are on a vegan diet and don’t want to give up the taste of cheese in your popcorn, you can use vegan cheese, which will often be better for the texture of the cheese powder.
- Popcorn can be a very healthy alternative to snacking between meals. It is advisable not to make them with too much oil so that they are not too greasy and to season them with spices to avoid a high salt content.
- There are all kinds of popcorn on the market that can be made in the microwave. However, it will always be healthier and more natural to cook them in a pan. Also, this will give you more freedom to make them the flavor you prefer.
- To cook popcorn, you can use vegetable oil or olive oil. With that of olive you will have a more intense flavor.
- If you’re a popcorn fan, you can speed up your preparation by getting a special popcorn machine that will give you cheddar cheese popcorn, just like they do in the cinema.